Thursday, March 27, 2014

Balsamic Glazed Pork Loin

I'm always looking for good recipes for pork loin. Not just because I love pork, but because pork loin is one of the most affordable cuts of meat. My store puts it on sale all the time so I usually pay $7-$8 for 4-5 pounds of it. Which means that not only am I saving money, but I have a piece of meat that we can eat on for more than one night. Which means less cooking! Typically I cut ours in half, freezing some for later and cooking the rest. Half of one usually feeds us for 2 full dinners and maybe some extra for Matt to take to work for lunch.

This is my go-to pork loin recipe. It meets all of my 5 star recipe criteria: easy, delicious, cheap, feeds us for more than one night, AND all of the ingredients are pantry staples in our house so no special trips to the store needed! Yay! So, enjoy y'all :)

Ingredients:
2 lb pork loin
2 tsp of sage
2 cloves of garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup water

For the Glaze:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 cup water

1. In a small bowl, mix together sage, garlic, salt, and pepper. (Measurements are approximate. Feel free to add more or less. I usually just dump it on until it looks right)
2. Place pork loin in crock pot and rub the sage mix all over it. Pour in 1/2 cup of water.
3. Put the lid on and cook on low for 8 hours.



About an hour before the meat is ready, make the glaze.
1 Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and whisk over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
2. Remove from heat and ladle out about 1/4-1/3 cup of the glaze into a bowl.
3. Use the separated bowl of glaze to baste onto the meat every 15 or so minutes until the meat done, leaving the rest of the glaze on the stove.


When meat is done, serve with glaze drizzled on top. So good. If I'm feeling ambitious, I typically serve with nice roasted veggies. If I'm in a hurry, I might just do biscuits and a can of corn ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment